Cottage pie is one of my favourite family friendly recipes when there’s a toddler in the house. You can pack it full of sneaky veggies & add lots of different flavours to diversify their tastes. And on top of all that, it’s so easy!
Sweet Potato Cottage Pie
600g mince (beef, chicken, pork, turkey…any will work)
2-3 large sweet potatoes, peeled & chopped
2-3 tbs tomato paste
Can of tinned tomatoes
4-5 tsp cummin
2 tsp cinnamon
Chilli powder, salt, pepper & mixed herbs to taste
2 garlic cloves, crushed
Parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 cup milk
2 tbs butter/margarine
1/4 cup pine nuts
1. Steam sweet potato & other veggies til soft
2. Brown onion & mince in large saucepan
3. Add garlic, tomato paste, tinned tomatoes & spices to mince
4. Add steamed veggies to mince.
5. Add steamed potatoes to large bowl with milk, Parmesan & butter. Mash.
6. Add mince mix to casserole/deep baking dish. Add potato mix on top.
7. Season too with salt & pepper. Add to moderate oven for 10 minutes or until top starts to brown/crisp slightly.
I like to add grated cheese on top before putting in oven. I love the extra cheese taste. Not essential though.
Another alternative would be using cauliflower mash maybe. Not something I’ve tried yet but it ends up with a similar consistency to mash potato & would be an even leaner option. Let me know if you have or do try it.
When I do these recipe posts, I am going by memory and rough estimates of quantities so if something sounds off, please let me know as I may have forgotten a vital ingredient or step. I’m just a mum who likes to dabble in the kitchen, always now on the lookout for recipes to keep my little miss happy and healthy. Although I also have a mega sweet tooth 😉